Stealing an idea from Slashdot here are some "quickies".
- This is a must read article about Denial of Service attacks on the internet. It's pretty long but I thought it was very interesting. Danny Chan and Greg Marquez both brought this to my attention. You might get an idea of the kinds of threats the new wired world will be under.
- My friend John pointed out these articles (one) (two) (three) about E-Prime which stands for English Prime which is another way of saying English version 1.1. Anyway, it's about using English without ever using the concept of "to be" because "to be" causes so many problems. If that doesn't make any sense then read article one. It's only a couple of paragraphs until some examples are given. It seems to make a lot of sense in some ways.
- I saw some books today that I kind of wanted. Books in English. I checked Amazon.com and they are not available in America yet. One of them will not be available until late Sept. What's up with that?
- I was in Tsutaya today, the Japanese Blockbuster and I the music playing was a rap song going "Drop the F*CK out, the F*CK, the F*CK, F*CK, F*CK Out". Since nobody understands it it's just noise to everybody in the store but me but it's a little strange to be in family store hearing those kinds of lyrics
- I found Techno Row today. An area of Shibuya with a bunch of Techno / Rave music shops. The shops are for DJs and sell mostly vinyl and their are turn tables to test them out.
- I mentioned the new iBook a few days ago, One thing I love about Japan is they are early adoptors. That thing has been out only about 10 days and I've already seen several people around town with them. Trying to spot people with new tech in America is nearly impossible.